Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Hello, World.

Before I introduce myself and exchange pleasantries with you, world, I would just like to point out that I've never had an official blog like this one before. No, I stand corrected. I did create an account here but I never got the time to maintain or (much less) update it. I was a sophomore law student then, thus a huge portion of my time was eaten up by reading voluminous books (boring books, if you must) and cases, and worrying about my grades--will I make it to the next semester or will the Faculty of Civil Law give my arse a hard kick (as its way of saying, "Tata! You are unworthy to be in these hallowed halls where great men of this country once walked!")? I forgot about it altogether. I don't even remember what e-mail I used to create it. 

The closest thing I had to a blog site like this was Friendster blog. OK, before you start sticking your tongue out, let me explain. I used Friendster blog because it was easier to maintain and update. I was a Friendster addict, I confess, so every time I opened my account and felt like writing about whatever was making me happy, bothering me or depressing me, I just had to click on the blog item of my page and then type nonsensical stuff away. Sadly, the sudden and unforeseen onset of  the Facebook domination resulted to the morose death of my Friendster addiction. And I say "sadly" because since my obsession over social networks has been directed to Facebook, I never got the chance to write something online like I used to in the erstwhile object of my social network fixation.

True, Facebook has the "Notes" feature but it is nothing close to a real blog site like what Friendster blog offers. In the latter, the user can customize the layout, the design, the font style/size of his or her blog page. In FB's Notes feature, none of those options is available, thus making the user--well, at least for me--feel less inclined to write. Do you get my drift?

I love writing. That's an understatement. I am unfathomably in love with the written word. I love playing with words. I love how one can use them in so many different ways and combination to relate one and the same thought. I love how the written word can make one experience things vicariously. I love how it can evoke emotions in the reader. The written word, indeed, is very powerful.

Aside from those reasons, writing is very cathartic and therapeutic for me. For someone suffering from manic depression, paranoia and schizophrenia, it has been an imperative part of the reason why I'm still relatively sane. It has also been my most powerful weapon against those who, for one reason or another, provoke me into turning into the diabolical, evil and outrageously badass version of myself. Ah, you don't want to see that side of me--I can say the meanest things to you and I won't regret it. I can pierce your heart and make you bleed profusely with words. Haha. Really now?

Where was I? Oh, yes, I love writing. I always tell people that I express myself so much better through written words than through spoken ones. My yearning to clothe the thoughts inside my cluttered head with written words principally prompted me to create this blog site. So there.

Now that I have explained why I created this blog page (and I don't know why I felt the need to do that in the first place--yes, I am that confused, haha), let me introduce myself to you, citizens of the World Wide Web.

My name is Nesrin Bazar Cali, a law graduate from the University of Santo Tomas. 

Music is in every fiber of my body and soul (wow). It is, alongside writing, my sanctuary and refuge when I feel despondent and my way of celebrating the beauty of life (WTF, you say). 

I always list singing, songwriting, playing the guitar and literature as my primordial interests. Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blondie, Bread, The Corrs, Cranberries, Carlos Santana, Yngwie Malmsteen, Guns N' Roses, Florence and the Machine, Nerina Pallot, Imogen Heap, Feist, Eagles, Greenday, Tori Amos, Evanescence, Marina and the Diamonds, Joe Satriani, Bjork and Patti Smith are just some of my musical influences. But my biggest musical influence, really, is my Dad. He is the one who introduced me to a very diverse range of music. He is responsible for my versatile taste in music.

I am fascinated by politics and all its dynamics but I never fancied being a direct participant in the field, especially in this country. International politics and international law interest me too. 

 I am a voracious reader. I love reading materials that are intellectually stimulating--Reader's Digest, Time Magazine, Newsweek are on top of my list. OK, let me stop there before I leave you the impression that I am (or my entries will be)  boring, nerdy or geeky.

Hmm, what can offset that very heavy thing I just said about myself? Oh, I love cooking! I'm not really a confined-to-cookbooks type of cook because doing recipes from cookbooks is not as exciting as coming up with your own and experimenting with ingredients and flavors!

I love fashion, styling and make-up. My taste in fashion is basically classic, vintage. I don't really go for trends and edgy stuff (unless the items, be they clothes or shoes, are irresistibly pretty) because they die too soon. I think they are a waste of money, really. I love clothes  and shoes the style and design of which last, are timeless, you know? I would love to hand down some of my, err, expensive buys to my children/grandchildren without them getting teased that they raided their mother's/grandmother's closet. And oh, I love pieces or things with unique designs (or which I feel are representative of me) because I never found being different  as something to be avoided, even when I was in my teens, a period when the pressure to blend in the crowd is at its peak. 

Make-up, oh, don't get me started. I have a huge box (a three-year old kid can fit inside of it) full of make-up items. Enough said. 

To end this part of the entry, I just feel that it is significant for me to let you know that I love pets and animals. I can establish a city zoo out of all the pets I now have (discounting the ones who already departed to the next life, huhu). That's an exaggeration, of course, but yeah, pets have always been part of my life. It runs in the family. Alright, I must stop here, lest I might appear too in love with myself. Eeek.

I apologize for seeming to be too self-centered. I just think I needed to write such a lengthy, nausea-inducing introduction about myself so you'll know what to expect from my entries and what this blog is about--a sundry of unrelated things, experiences, musings, thoughts and everything in between. I told you--inside my head, it is very cluttered.

You may now enter.

P.S. I am a noob to this so pardon my dull and completely visually lackluster layout. When I get to learn how to go about this, I will do something that would make my site at least visually enticing, if not so content-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment